Blog Archive

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Knowing Apologetics Eases the College Transition


The responsibility that is added to one's everyday life, upon entering college, can be overwhelming. There are a number of different stress factors. Trust me, I know, I moved in my dorm a few days ago. I attended the religious organization fair and being surrounded by foreign worldviews and beliefs can make transitioning into the college life stressful.  Can knowing apologetics suppress the stress? I believe so. Knowing apologetics eliminates a major stress factor. 

The Elimination of a Major Stress Factor
I attend Tennessee Tech University where there are a number of  Christian ministry clubs that are involved around campus. On the other hand, though I have not met all of the professors, it is reasonable to think there are professors looking to strip Christians of their beliefs. This is a common goal for many atheist professors at secular campuses. Daniel Dennett confessed, "They will see me as just another liberal professor trying to cajole them out of some of their convictions, and they are dead right about that -- that's what I am, and that is exactly what I am trying to do." Sadly, professors with this goal often succeed. Anywhere from 60-75% of youth leave the church after leaving the home and going to college. The majority of those walk away from the Christian worldview entirely. Having professors, who seem to be very intellectual, trying to strip you of your Christian beliefs is stressful. Questions flood your mind about how truth-based your beliefs are. Can this stress factor be eliminated or is it something every college student must go through? Yes, it can be eliminated. Knowing how to defend your worldview eliminates this stress. You do not have to argue with your professor for the stress factor to be eliminated. Just knowing your defenses and knowing the reliability behind your beliefs will practically eliminate the skeptics stress factor. You do not have to go through the stress of questioning your worldview. There is great evidence for Christianity. Though it is important that you...
 

Start Studying Apologetics and Be a Truth Seeker
It is essential that you start studying apologetics now, if you haven't already. The importance of knowing apologetics is astonishing (refer to last blog.) Not only will it eliminate a stress-factor, it is effective in sharing the faith. What I have found when I am telling someone about Christianity and I throw in an apologetic argument is that I don't have to stop sharing my faith to do that. In fact, I am giving my faith more validity by sharing why it is reasonable to think that it is true. Apologetics is 21st century evangelism, especially on secular college campuses. Furthermore, in whatever you are studying, seek the truth and base your beliefs around the truth. Beliefs are irresponsible and empty if not based on truth. Basing your beliefs on the truth will ultimately lighten stress of your everyday life because you know your beliefs have the best foundation -- truth.

Study apologetics, know your defenses, base your beliefs on truth, and be a case maker today.

No comments:

Post a Comment