Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Motives

Motive: Reason for doing something.
Many Christians live with a mindset that they have to do certain things and not do others to be a good Christian. Many believe that God cares most about IF they are doing something rather than WHY they are doing somthing. Which is God more worried about? I think I can make a strong case for the "WHY" view because our motives ultimately decide who is benefitted and who receives the praises from the works.

Moralism

I was once stuck with a mindset that God was only concerned about if I was going to church, if I was sharing my faith, etc... As a new believer, I was exhausted. I was constantly living with the mindset that if  I did certain things God was going to be 'cool' with me and if I did other things God was not going to be 'cool' with me.  I had a very moralistic mindset. I was climbing this mountain, by my works, ultimately hoping to be good enough to get to God. I then had a very legalistic mindset toward everyone else all because I was convinced that God was most concerned with if I was working rather that why I was working. One day I was reading through 2 Corinthians and I came across this verse in chapter 7 verse 10: "For Godly repentance leads to salvation not to be repented of, but worldly repentance leads to death." For the first time I understood that God is more concerned about my motives behind my works.

Why God is More Concerned With the Motives

God is more concerned with our motives behind our actions rather than our actions themselves. According to Scripture we are to do everything to give God glory. If that is the case, that means all of our works are to give God glory. I realize that sounds simple and something we have heard multiple times, but let me explain. When we live with a moralistic view of God, all of our 'good' works are not for God's glory but they are for our own. If I am doing something just so God is happy with me, I am the one being benefitted, not God. This is a self-centered view. It seems to be more reasonable that God is more concerned with our motives. As seen in the verse above, the importance is why one is repenting rather than if one is repenting. Thus, God wants our works to be saturated in the motive of giving Him glory. God is concerned about motives because God ultimately cares who is being benefitted from a work. Yes, God wants us to benefit from things but our first duty is to give God glory in all that we do. The only way to do this is to have motives of doing just that.

We do not have to work to be 'cool' with God. Christianity is different from all other beliefs in the sense that God came off of the mountain top and became a man, Jesus of Nazareth. He took our place and punishment. He was our substitute. We do not have to live a lifestyle trying to work to get to God. He comes to us and loves us as we are. He cannot love you anymore or less than He does right now.

God is concerned with our motives. Our motive to all works should be to give God glory. When we live with that motive, we will become more and more like Christ daily.
Be a Case-Maker today.

No comments:

Post a Comment